— Contract Position for New Municipal Development Manual —
The City of Saint John and Develop Saint John are seeking a Technical Writer to produce a high-quality municipal Development Manual that contributes to the overall success of development projects in Saint John, New Brunswick.
You will use your experience in the engineering field with municipal infrastructure to ensure Saint John’s new Development Guide is a useful resource to architects, engineers, contractors and developers. It will provide information regarding the procedures, standards and requirements for Development Permit and Building Permit applications that involve commercial, industrial, institutional or multi-unit residential uses. It is meant to help the development community better understand the City’s requirements and provide a level of consistency within various city departments during the review process.
- Produce high-quality documentation that meets applicable standards and is appropriate for its intended audience
- Write well-organized and easy-to-understand development manual
- Analyze existing and potential content, focusing on reuse
- Create and maintain the information architecture (source content)
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Proven work experience in technical writing in the engineering field with municipal infrastructure
- Samples of relevant writing work
- Ability to deliver high quality documentation, paying attention to detail
- Ability to quickly grasp regulation, including by-laws, and complex technical concepts, and make them easily understood
- Excellent English writing skills
- Approximate length is 150 pages, half of which are appendices
- Another municipality’s Development Guide will be used as reference and foundation for Saint John’s Guide (we are not starting from scratch)
- Flexible location (able to work remotely)
- This is a temporary, contract position
- The budget for this project is $5,000 + HST
Submitting An Expression of Interest
We ask that all Expressions of Interest include a cover letter with contact information, a description of the proposed approach, itemized tasks and associated hours, your hourly rate, the total estimated cost, the estimated length of time to complete the project, and at least one relevant writing sample.
We thank all interested bidders but only those shortlisted for the project will be contacted.
The closing date is October 23, 2019 and Expressions of Interest can be e-mailed to Christine.comeau@SaintJohn.ca.